DoN. Nichols

Default Bore gages

In article ,
Mike Graham wrote:
I've never used a bore gage (dial bore gage, whatever). I've only used
inside mics (of the tubular variety) and telescopic gages. Are bore gages
sufficiently snazzy to make them worth the relatively upper-crusty price
tag? A set of intramics is absolutely out of the question. 8-)

Well ... I've never used one of the dial bore gauges either, but
I do have a pretty complete set of Intrimics now -- in the range from
the smallest to about 1.8", and a few in other sizes. This is thanks to
haunting eBay for a while. One of the best buys was when two identical
sets of four were up for auction at the same time, and the one closing
second had a really splashy fancy description full of images, while the
one closing first was just good enough. I opted to bid on the one
closing first, since its price was a lot lower. I got it, and at the
time that it closed, the other lot was already higher. One interesting
thing is that the higher-priced lot did not have the proper wrenches
needed for calibration and for installing/removing the (include)
extension tube set. I think that I got the better deal by far. (The
other one had current calibration stickers, which they made a big thing
of, but both came with two setting rings (each ring covered the high end
of one mic and the low end of the other).

So -- if you're not in a hurry, you might try tracking eBay for
the sizes which you need most.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564