Gary Coffman

Default 3 phase 240VAC to 120 VAC single phase?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:50:43 GMT, Don Murray wrote:
Gary Coffman wrote:
The third leg, called the high

or wild leg in this configuration, will read more than 240 to ground.

Not so. The high leg or wild leg, also called the power leg, will be 208 volts to
ground.
I have some pictures of transformer connections on a web page. Scroll to the
bottom of the page to see them.

http://murrayranch.com/Electricity.htm

You're right, sqrt(240^2 - 120^2) = 207.846 volts.

. This was
found a lot in older installations, but most power companies
don't want to provide this any more.
Gary

Not so, again. This is still widely in use. At the power company I work for we
install a lot of these, many in strip malls, supermarkets and small office
buildings. Anyplace that has a large 120 load, and need some 3-phase for
refrigeration and air conditioning.

Nope, you took that one out of a different context. I'm talking about 208 delta
there. Your power company may still support it for new work, but none of the
ones I know will (though they continue to support it in old work). They want
to supply 480 wye instead. It saves them money via smaller cheaper transformers.
In a stretched out facility it saves you money too, in reduced copper costs.

Gary