Mike Graham

Default Bore gages

In article , Karl Townsend wrote:

I got a few bore guages at an auction. They are nice, accurate and
fast. The set that uses three points to measure diameter are cool.

I'm looking at things like the Mitutoyo series 526. They *seem* to be
basically like telescopic guages, but with a dial. The set I'm looking at
goes from 1.4" to 6". I know that Mitutoyo makes them to work in holes as
small as .240" diameter, but this one won't go anywhere near that small.

I don't like telescoping guages - too putsy and easy to make an error
of a thou.

I've had good luck with them, but certainly they are not without their
flaws. At the very least it sucks to have to keep measuring them - the bore
gages should be a lot faster, if nothing else.

Of course, inside mikes don't go below 1",

I think 1.5" is the smallest I've seen.

lot of need to measure in this range. You didn't mention gage pins, I
like them for under 1" bores.

I use small-hole gages and telescopic gages pretty much exclusively at
this point, but I'm considering broadening my horizons. 8-)

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada