Karl Townsend

Default Bore gages

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:36:25 -0400, Mike Graham
wrote:

I've never used a bore gage (dial bore gage, whatever). I've only used
inside mics (of the tubular variety) and telescopic gages. Are bore gages
sufficiently snazzy to make them worth the relatively upper-crusty price
tag? A set of intramics is absolutely out of the question. 8-)

I got a few bore guages at an auction. They are nice, accurate and
fast. The set that uses three points to measure diameter are cool.
But, not worth the price if you had to buy new unless you were running
production on the same part all day long. Or, grinding a bore to a
couple tenths tolerance.

I don't like telescoping guages - too putsy and easy to make an error
of a thou. Of course, inside mikes don't go below 1", and you get a
lot of need to measure in this range. You didn't mention gage pins, I
like them for under 1" bores.

Karl