Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

Default Window Pane Cracking

In article , Pinot Grigio
Someone@somewhere.? writes
A large double-glazed window has developed a crack from one corner about 12
inches toward the centre of the window.

The heat and cold is making the crack grow longer.

What can I do to stop the crack travelling further. Cellotape probably
won't work because of condensation.
I can't get the window fixed for at least 6 weeks.

I'd probably let it get on with it as a single crack across it will not make it
fall out, however it will be weakened so keep people away in case they
bash it.

However, if you have lots of time on your hands then you can allegedly
stop a crack by drilling a hole in its path to relieve the stress. Chose a
6mm pear shaped glass bit and drill a hole (using very light pressure)
about half an inch past the end of the crack. If you push too hard when
drilling then the crack will complete before you know it ;-).

Tape over the crack with gaffa tape once it has completed or you have
drilled.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla