Posted to rec.woodworking
Layne

Default are the standard delta 14" bandsaws good tools?

I'm a big fan of the Delta bandsaw, but for my money I'd save it and
go with the standard model which is very good. Unless:

1. You really need that 1/2 hp extra for heavy resawing. But even then
you might as well scrounge around for a good used 2hp motor for more
oomph. But for most resawing as long as you don't feed stock too fast
the 1hp motor will be fine.

2. You have a small space and could use the "free for a limited time"
mobile base.

But, both of these are *not* enough for me to spend the extra money
for them. With the money you save you can make your own, probably more
efficient dust port (attach a magnet to a 4" hose and stick it as
close as you can get to the lower guides ala Steve Knight); replace
the blade with a better one from Timberwolf, Olson or Highland
Hardware; get a link belt; get better blade guides from Carter, Cool
Blocks or Bandrollers; get or make a tire brush, etc etc......*and*
still have money left over to get the Dewalt planer.

Layne

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:49:17 GMT, Modat22 wrote:

How does the standard saw differ from the extreme version?

delta x version

Features:

Five year limited warranty on machines, parts and accessories
1-1/2HP motor with enclosed stand and guarded drip proof motor
Push button switch, chip chute, blade and belt guards
Arbor and motor pulleys and V-belt, blade guides
Platinum Pro band saw blade, quick release blade tension lever,
integrated 4" dust port, with Free Mobile Base (for a Limited Time)

Standard version

Features:

2 year limited warranty on machines, parts, and accessories
1-horsepower induction motor provides cool, quiet power
Quick-release tension lever
9 spoke computer balanced wheels eliminate vibration under load
Blade moves at 3,000 surface feet per minute for efficient cutting