Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

Default Salt in swimming pool

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:13:19 +0100, Holly, in France wrote:

snip

You were replying to someone else here, but anyway.... We get lots of
sunny weather in winter, and are in a frost pocket, and have had 6'' of
ice on the lake a couple of times, so the chances of our pool surviving
with only a little rime are very slim indeed!

It rather depends on how exposed your pool is. We live in Norfolk, where,
as the saying goes, the wind can be cold enough to blow the bristles off
barbed wire. Our outdoor pool is enclosed with a combination of walls and
inset closeboard fencing, which I guess results in a something of a
micro-climate. Not had any problems with winter frosts in the 9 years we've
lived here, and I don't take any special precautions other than pumping out
water from time to time.

We had a pool at our previous house down in the Thames valley, and that
wasn't as sheltered, and likewise I never took any special precautions.

We have just put a winter
cover on the pool too though, so I'm hoping that will help.

Err, the winter cover is really intended to keep leaves and other debris
out.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net