Dave Martindale

Default AA battary capacity, Ah (?)

"jakdedert" writes:
All the Motorola FRS radios (that I'm familiar with) use three AA cells.
All of their literature states that alkalines or Nimhs *must* be used.
According to Motorola, NiCads are not acceptable.

That's not true of the T6210. In the battery installation section, it
just says "AA batteries" or a special NiMH pack sold by Motorola. It
doesn't specify what kind of AA batteries.

Later in the manual, it describes how you can change the battery meter
voltage thresholds. The two settings are "A" for alkaline and "n" for
"NiMH or NiCad rechargeable". That's a direct quote from the manual.
So it's clearly intended to work with NiCd cells.

The Motorola NiMH pack is somewhat weird - its capacity is only 550 mAH.
I wonder if they use 4 AAA cells in it to get 4.8 V for higher transmit
power (but short battery life). It also has contacts that mate with
charging contacts on the battery compartment cover, which in turn mate
with contacts on the Motorola charger. This ensures that only the
Motorola rechargeable pack can be charged inside the radio.

Dave