Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Duane Bozarth

Default Straightening twisted floor joists?

wrote:

Yeah, I'm expecting to not be pretty. After all, it's had years to get
like this, and undoing it in an afternoon won't be possible.

But at the very minimum we need to stop it from getting any worse. We
have to at least try.

I really don't believe it will get significantly worse unless there is
an actual fault which it doesn't sound like there is . If there's only
some minor settling and a squeaky floor here and there after 20+ years,
it's pretty good indication of no _major_ issue.

Not being able to actually see what you're talking about, I'd probably
add the fire blocking if there are places that really need it/it will
make a difference if you do (but if it's an open, unfinished basement as
it sounds like, there's nothing for the blocking to block against, so
even that doesn't seem certain to be a real issue.) If there are a few
joists which have really moved significantly (like an inch or more), I'd
consider those few, perhaps as worthy of some attention. If I
understand the way you're describing it, adding a hanger bracket might
be the easiest way to ensure they don't go anywhere further than they've
already gone.