Carl Ijames

Default Etching copper plates

Do some archive searches in sci.electronics.design or net searches on laser
printer toner transfer for printed circuit boards. Basically, you can print
your pattern on transparency material with a laser printer then transfer it
to clean smooth copper with a clothes iron. Carefully peel off the plastic
and the toner stays on the copper as a resist. Yes, there are some fine
points I'm leaving out because I'm not expert at this. You will have to do
the etching by trial and error, since the rate is temperature and
concentration dependent, but something like 20 to 60 minutes would be my
guess to etch 1/16". You can also buy spray-on photosensitizer to spray on
the copper, then use the transparency as a mask and expose it with UV light
(we use a 500W halogen light at about 2' for 5-15 minutes), then develop and
etch, but this is tricky to get a good coating of the sensitizer so we
usually buy precoated circuit board material.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames