Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default OT dangerous dogs

(Paul Brumman) wrote:

We had some high profile dog incidents in the neighboring county. I
have two kids, 6 and 2, and am wondering. If, let's say, a neighbor's
dog wanders in our yard and starts growling at my children, in a
threatening manner, would it be legal to just take my trusty SKS and
shoot the dog wile it is trespassing on my property? That has not
happened, but my neighbors two houses over keep a dog that I do not
like and I am a little concerned. Waht to know the legalities. I am
near El Paso, TX.

Anyone asking for legal advice on a woodworking newsgroup gets what he
pays for -- and deserves what he gets.

As someone else has pointed out, if your kids are in imminent danger,
legalities fly out the window. In the meantime, the advice to check
with local police sounds good--although I'd tend to approach it along
the lines of "what are my options for dealing with a threatening
animal?" rather than "is it okay for me to just blow it away?" Police
will certainly provide better advice than you will get here, but still
not legal advice--a real lawyer will advise on both criminal and civil
risks.