Posted to rec.woodworking
Trace Wilson

Default About ready to pull the trigger on my first table saw (Delta TS350)

I purchased this exact saw about 1 yr ago. I specifically purchased it
because of the table size. I wanted to be able to build it into a
mobile bench and store it on the side of my 2 car garage, allowing me
to still get both cars in.

For me, it has been perfect!!! The induction motor is wonderfully
quiet, about all I really hear is the blade whirring. The saw weighs
in at about 185 lbs. (with stand), and there was virtually no
vibration. The stock fence was pretty good, but I have since upgraded
to a Vega Utility 50". The original fence served me well for about 5
months. Not perfect...it could deflect with enough pressure, but once
lined up, it worked well for what I asked of it.

I built a 6' bench to put the saw in, and placed a router in the
extension wing. This has been GREAT! Gives me a huge router table,
with a long fence when needed. The extra weight of the bench brings
the total unit's weight to close to 400 lbs, probably more with the
stuff in the bench, so vibration has not been an issue at all.

I built the bench along the same lines as the Ultimate Workbench, with
a little of the Little Shop - Mark II from Popular Woodworking thown in
(torsion box bottom, upper cabinets to hold saw & drawers, small dust
bin below saw with hose hookup). I used the locking 4" casters from
Woodcraft on one end, and non-swivel casters on the other end. When I
need the saw, I just pull it away from the wall, plug it in, and off I
go. When I lock the casters, it does NOT move. Lots of storage in the
bench for power handtools and other misc items.

The only "issue" I had was when I put Vega fence on...the power switch
for the saw interfeared with one of the mounting brackets. But, I just
moved the power switch to the bottom of the base and all is well.

The motor on mine came virtually perfectly aligned out of the box. If
you do have to align it, it may be difficult because all four trunion
bolts are near the front of the saw. I bought a TS Aligner kit for it,
but never installed it. When I checked the alignment, it was within
0.005", and was angled away from the fence. I aligned the Vega fence
within 0.002" of the miter slot (away from the blade), and I have not
had any issues with the setup at all. The only real issue I've had is
that sometimes the vega fence will slip if I forget to really clamp it
down when cutting large panels.

The blade insert is not a "standard" Delta size (a little short), so
you will need to make your own zero-clearance insert. The standard
ones look to be about 1/2"-3/4" thick. This one comes with a pressed
steel insert, and the lip arount the opening is about 1/8"-3/16" thick,
and only about 1/8" wide. I made my insert out of 1/4" ply, and
rabbited the edge to get a good fit with the table surface. So far it
has worked like a champ. I also installed an MJ Splitter.
Unfortunately, since the insert is a little short, you have to be
careful not to raise the blade to full height or you will end up
cutting the splitter.

Overall, I have been VERY pleased with the saw, but then again, it is
only my 2nd saw, my first being a small Delta TS200 bench top. I've
cut plenty of 2" oak on it, and used it to swing an 8" stacked dado set
to cut 1-1/4" deep dados for the cross members for the torsion box
bases for my mobile workbenches. Granted, with the dado blade, you
need to run the stock SLOWLY so you don't bog down the motor, but it
made the cuts beautifully. Also, the max depth of cut is a little
shallow (2-7/16 if I remember correctly), but that's enough for
anything I expect to be doing in the foreseeable future.

Would I recommend this saw for a professional...no. But for an at home
hobbiest, I personally think it's a great saw. The smaller table can
be a little bit of a pain, but since I put on the extension wing, I end
up with a 49" cut to the right of the blade. For outfeed, I built a
second mobile bench that I roll around to the back of the saw. The
blade seems to be centered in the depth of the table, and it would be
nice to have a little more room in front of the blade, but it hasn't
boon too big a problem yet.

I won't say it's the best, but for me it has been a great saw!!

Good luck,

Trace Wilson