Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike H

Default Carbide threading insert questions

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
I sent this once before, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the
newsgroup.
---------------------
There are lots of threading inserts, and the several catalog pages I've
looked at to try to understand them don't do a very good job. The turning
inserts make a lot more sense than the threading ones.

So first, can anyone point me to a reasonable explanation of how the
inserts are numbered (threading, not turning)?

Are threading insert brands compatible with each other? For instance, can
I expect to use company A's insert in company B's holder?

The on-edge threading inserts seem to compatible with each other. I have
used several brands of TNMC-43NV/TPMC-43NV in several brands of holders.

I have used laydown thread inserts like Kennametal/Carboloy 16ER series and
Vardex 3ER series in each others holders. Also the internal versions 16IR
and 3IR series.

And in the too convenient to be true department, can I use a triangular
threading insert to cut internal threads with my insert boring bars?

Threading inserts have thier own holder styles. I have never tried to use a
threading insert in a turning holder. Also the laydown inserts usually have
an anvil (like a shim) under the insert. Anvils are used to adjust the angle
of the insert to the helix angle of the thread.

I could make threading insert holders, but don't know the angles and such,
how much it varies from insert type to insert type, etc.

I believe the vertical angle for on-edge threading inserts is zero.

Thanks,
Steve

Hope this helps,
MikeH