Posted to uk.d-i-y
Holly, in France

Default Bloody washing machines..

Stuart Noble wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:38:32 +0100, Holly, in France wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:56:23 UTC, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.
... it leaks water.

Check the door seal - it'll get flexed more if there's an eccentric
load. Look for cracks and perishing.

Been there done this, I think you could be right. One of my machine
leaks only with big/heavy loads and it's because there is a little
crack at the top of the door seal. Haven't got round to changing it
yet so I just use it for smaller loads.

As far as I scan tell te seal is OK, although te water DIES seem to
come from towards teh front of te machine.

I would love to splah out (har har) 600 notes on a relaible
machine...but even mieles are not foolproof these days. And a 600
quid machine that only does 10 years is the same as a 300 quid
machine that lasts 5 years...or slightly worise when you take the
cost of finance into account..

I'll double check the seal though.

If your requirements are normal (and who the hell uses all those fancy
settings anyway?) you might as well go for a sub £200 Servis or
similar.
We had a cheap Spanish brand (Balay?) for 15 years, and we had an
engineer out once IIRC.

Ooh dear me, for once I'm not in agreement (or at least not entirely!)
with Andy Hall! That must be a first:-) - not counting the education
debate which I have long since given up on! If I had the money I *would*
actually buy a Miele, but since I haven't I have fairly recently bought,
to replace an old Siemens, two cheap French own-brand machines. They
were 179 and 199 euros, ie less than 150GBP each, have 1000 and 1200
spin speeds, more programmes than I am ever likely to use, have a 2 year
guarantee (one now over 2 years old, fine so far) and one in particular
is exceptionally quiet (alas not the one currently in the house!). So,
environmental/recycling issues aside, I am happy with these. Time will
tell though, I'll let you know in a few years time.....

--
Holly, in France
Holiday Home in Dordogne