Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

Default Ripple Control - why not in the UK?

wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:41:06 -0000, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

Besides which, the thing that really frightens electricity supply
companies
is the advert break at the end of Coronation Street. When I was in the
industry, the CEGB used to check the story lines, to try to get an idea of
how many kettles were going to be switched on at the end of the episode.

Indeed - in fact, "TV Pickups" are still very much a part of the forecasters
trade;
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/activ...mn_pickup.html

In 1987, I went on a school visit to a small power station.

The power station was fitted with two Rolls Royce "aircraft type"
engines. The engines could be brought on line by remote control from a
national grid control centre. The engines could be switched on and
shut down in a matter of minutes. The power station was unmanned
outside of 9.00am to 5.00pm.

These are gas turbines, and cost a LOT more to buy from, but can, as you
say, kick in quickly.

Because of the fines levied for not keeping within the frequency limits are
quite high, having "spot generation", costly though it is when needed, is
vital.
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/activ...n_quality.html

Other interesting things:

Current energy prices: