Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default Bearing Oil

In message , Andy Wade
writes
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Creating an even suspension of lead in bronze is not that simple, so
they are not cheap, or at least they weren't when I used them. I
suspect that many plain bronze bearings these days are just that:
plain bronze.

'Twas ever thus, surely? The most common type is just sintered bronze
alloy, impregnated in oil. The trade name "oilite" came to mind and
Google soon led me to http://www.bsaoilite.com.

.... ...

However, here are some basic rules:
1. Low viscosity oil for low temperatures, high speeds or light loads
2. High viscosity oil for high temperatures, low speeds or heavy loads
3. High viscosity index oil for wide variations in operating
temperatures
4. Oxidation stable oils for long-period usage
5. Oil with €˜oiliness additives for boundary conditions
6. Oil of lesser €˜oiliness for full film (hydrodynamic) conditions
7. Oil with Extreme Pressure (E.P.) additives for very heavy or shock
loads
/quote

Which, as I said before, is all a bit over the top for a computer
cooling fan

.... but then, it is uk.d-i-y, isn't it

--
geoff