Greg Dermer

Default Lathe Suggestions

Impressive, isn't it? Saw a piece of 3/4" steel pretty much destroy a
coolant system tank and pump and a wooden workbench. Happened real quick,
too.

(No, I wasn't the one that did it. Just an amazed bystander.)

-- Greg

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , "frank" says...

But the critical speed issue is also a serious problem. If you are
getting withing 10% of critical speed you will need to do some
real engineering. I envision lots of pillow blocks on a long
piece of large box tubing.

You need to be more specific about the 'critical speed'
problem.

What it means is, unless the entire shaft that protrudes
is *securely* supported along its ENTIRE length, the
machine operator will be confronted with a piece of
one inch diamter bar stock that has bent at a 90
degree angle where it emerges from the far side
of the headstock, and is WHIPPING around in
a huge circle at about 1000 rpm.

Anyone and anything in its path becomes so much
chopped meat or trash.

YOu only need to see this happen once to gain a
significant appreciation for the term 'critical.'

Jim

please reply to: