Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jerry

Default Cold radiators again

"Crewood" wrote in message
ups.com...
The pump in the system appears to be spinning, I can feel vibration,
but the body is almost to hot to touch. All the pipes around the pump
and those coming from the boiler are hot.

The pump is marked as a Commodore 130 with a small black box on the top
that has a switch with 0 to 5 settings, the current setting is 2. I
don't see where I can check if it is actually spinning or see a bleed
screw. It has also run throughout the summer months.

The system has an hot water tank upstairs and a cold water tank in the
loft.

One radiator downstairs is getting quite warm as well as one upstairs,
the others are at best just above cold to the touch.

Anymore information I can add please let me know.

CC

It so happens I have the same type.
It's blue, right?

The bleed screw is not easy to spot as it'll be painted to match the body,
but it's in the centre on the top side.

This type of pump has a fixed motor winding, isolated from the water by a
stainless steel membrane, the impeller is magnetically coupled.

I suggest turning off to let everything get cold, then turn on and you
should feel the pipe on the inlet side get warm as the water heats, BUT if
the impeller has stuck there will be no circulation, so no heat.

It is normal for these pumps to be on the return to the boiler so the outlet
side goes to the boiler for reheating.

Can you close the isolation valves?

If you cannot budge the impeller with a screwdriver through the bleed hole,
then it is possible to remove the impeller side of the pump - 4 screws I
recall. Lift it off, clean it up, reassemble. Be careful not to damage the
o-ring seal between the membrane and the impeller body.

Jerry