Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Default Lighting recommendation

In article .com,
says...
So are you saying the current ground floor ceiling is completely solid?

It's solid but it's got some horrid sort of 70s ceiling tiles glued to
it. They really need to come down!

What about surface-mounted halogen spots, like
http://tinyurl.com/75skt (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101858&ts=81925)?

Thanks. Are you suggesting I mount these on the wall? It will certainly
look better than what's there now, but not really what I'm after. The
ceiling is about 6'9" from the floor, so if I take a couple of inches
for the pipes + the thickness of the plasterboard that brings us to
6'7" - I'd certainly have to duck to walk under those lights. Do you
know of any recessed flourescent fittings ?

Can't you just mount fluorescents above the plasterboard with some
translucent material flush with the ceiling to act as a diffuser? I'd
have thought a few circular tubes could be mounted direct to the
existing ceiling with spring-clips.