Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

Default Above Ground Pool strategies for winter survival in theNortheast....

writes:

Hey Guys,.. thanks for the reply.

So the "trouble" I had in the spring when I removed the cover was that
some of the liner had come out of it's track around the top edge...
about 6' worth of the liner was off and sagging into the pool. Of
course, i didn't know this 'til the cover came off as what I used to do
was fill the pool underneath the cover to it's proper height and then
take off the cover.

So I had to call the pool shop, they drained the water down a foot or
so, and stretched the liner back up and fastened it back into the
track. It's fine now but the pattern looks a tad distorted on that
side.

That sounds so wrong.

I just installed a replacement liner 3 years ago.
Stretching the liner is a no no.

The only way I'd have done this is to
take all the water out of the pool then rehang the liner.
If the liner is already stretched I'd say it's too late now.

This is the 3rd year I'm using this new pool cover, the one before this
had a couple of large holes in it that I believe allowed rain water to
get in and keep the water level at a certain threshold over the fall
and spring. But with this new cover, each year, the water level drops
precipitously during the non-freezing months that the pool cover is on.

The reason the pool shop recommended removing the cover is because with
the water level so low the snow and ice on top are causing it to pull
in the walls of the pool. You can see this on my pool as it sort of
looks like the wall is bent into the pool.

If the sides of your pool are moving, that would explain why the liner
came off.

I have a 24', I paid extra for heavy duty pool walls and I hang the cover
over the pool frame, not the pool walls. There is no amount of snow
that would move the pool walls. Well, maybe a glacier. I don't expect
a glacier for a few years.

As for there being a pinhole in the liner, this is what I thought the
past 2 years when I opened the pool with so little water in it. So
during the year I kept a close eye on the water level and sure enough,
it was as constant as usual, with there being the normal amount of
evaporation as always. The cover has only been on since Sept 20 or so.
So that's only 2 months. There's no way during 2 months of the summer
that I lost this much water.

Next year, get a face mask and spend some time examining the pool
bottom and sides for holes. You should be able to see them if they
are there.