Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

Default Fast drying with no microwave?

have you tried your oven?

I've heard of people putting pieces into the oven on low overnight maybe
with a container of water to keep the humidity up.

M&S wrote:
Hello to the group,
I am new here and have been turning (just a self taught hacker) for
a few years with an old POS harbor freight lathe. Sheet metal a
square tube bed rails and the like.
I am looking into a better lathe, leaning towards the Jet JW-1236. I
am however looking to make some last minute holiday gifts as tacky as
that sounds and due to some shop constraints I am thinking of picking up
one of the small mini lathes (JML-1014) to get me through a year or so.
We own a band mill so I have tons of wood kicking around, walnut,
cherry, red (slippery) elm, hackberry, sassafrass, sycamore, poplar,
basswood, ash, loads of many major oaks, and some others. Most are small
rounds (8"-10" dia.) that were cut offs saved for firewood. I also have
a lot of wild cherry peices that I have saved for a year or two for
turning. Lastly I have a 24" diameter wild cherry stump from a tree that
fell in an ice storm two years ago. I cleaned the stump and saved it for
turning in the event I ever followed through with the initial ambition.
Anyway, I am also a potter and have an affinity for lidded forms and
have been thinking of turning several small lidded jars/boxes as gifts
for friends however given the one month deadline I am wondering if there
is anything I can make that will stay in tact after I give it to the
individual with only a month between turning and the holidays. I am also
very partial to nesting bowls.
I have been reading these threads about microwave drying but we dont
have a microwave. Is there any species (preferably something from the
inventory mentioned) that would handle some sort of accelerated drying?
Are there any that would allow me a single turning on the lathe? i.e.
not a rough and finish turning? Any other ideas?
I realize the lidded forms may be tough with regards to a single
turning and tolerances but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark