Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Visit to Axminster Power Tools Show last weekend

Grunff wrote:
Well, it's all relative. Sometimes I buy something not necessarily
because it's good value for money, but because it's nice and I want it.
For example, the PC I'm using to write this is much, much faster than it
needs to be. I could probably comfortably use a PC that's 1/4 the price.
But I choose not to.

Me too, and I'm already hankering after an upgrade, but it is my job
as well I suppose.

The Festool drill would fall into a similar category for me. I could
have a Makita that offers similar functionality for maybe half the
price, but the Festool is so nicely engineered, it'll make you smile
every time you use it. That's worth a lot to me.

If you shop around you can often find something that satisfies but
isn't a totally OTT price. My Metabo cordless fits that category (for
me anyway), I got it when it was on special offer at just over £100
which is, I suppose, sort of middling price for a 12v cordless. It's
a really excellent tool though, I really can't think of anything that
would improve it.

I don't have any real life experience of Kress (I've seen them in the
shop, but that's it). But I do have some experience of Ryobi, and while
they're ok, they're not my cup of tea.

When I bought the Metabo I looked at some Ryobi stuff, for me at least
it was simply too big.

--
Chris Green