Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default exploding batteries in mp3 player

dave wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:00:41 GMT, Chris Hodges wrote:

EricP wrote:
Simple enough. Leave it plugged in and check the temperature of the
battery at intervals. It will have to be pretty hot to "explode".

Problem with rechargables is they are a slightly lower voltage and
have almost no internal resistance, so can damage cheaper circuitry,
unless designed for them.

Having said that I have always used them even when it said not.

Me Too. /AOL
MY MP3 player (MSI megastick) runs fine on a NiMH AAA, for almost as
long as it's supposed to on an alkaline. No charging current on USB
though AFAIK - a test may be in order tomorrow in work as I can stick a
thermocouple in there.

Mmm if there's no "charging" current, where does the energy come from in any
*possible* explosion I wonder. I very much doubt that even if an AAA was
short-circuited for hours it would explode.

There are too many layers.
The guy that actually designed it.
His manager.
The people that actually constructed it, probably with some substitutions.
The manual writers.
Marketing.
The translators.

Eventually, it can get far enough from the guy that designed it that the
actual manual text bears little relation to reality.
This can especially be the case with some MP3 players that the firm that
puts it together may not have actually done the design, but just be
using a standard circuit published by the maker, with the only 'innovation'
being in the paint colour.