W Stiefer

Default Boring lathe/drill press questions

Drill a 3/8 pilot then hit with a 1" 4 flute endmill at .020 ipr.
"ATP" wrote in message
et...
I am boring out two 3" lengths of 1 1/2" round steel bar to 1 1/8 ID. I am
working with a South Bend 10" Heavy lathe. I also have a 21" geared head
drill press but only a 6" vise to work with.

Doing the whole job on the lathe, how large of a hole should I drill to
start out with? Is the idea to drill a hole just big enough to start the
boring bar?

Using the drill press to do the job, what type of bit would be

recommended?
I drilled holes up to 7/8" in one of the bars today and it was a lengthy
process. Even at 150 rpm and a downfeed of 4 thousandths with plenty of

oil,
the bits would have a tendency to start jamming as soon as they got deep.
Then it took plenty of stopping and pulling out to finish the job. Thanks
for any advice.