Posted to alt.home.repair
VETMANSHU

Default Window advise on new house

I'm building a new house. My architect is awesome but admits he
doesn't know which brand of window is best suited for this house. He's
a NY architect used to huge night clubs (he designed Scores...),
apartment buildings...and this house is going to be on the cliffs of
California overlooking the ocean.

The weather is usually pretty mild year round but when storms come in
off the ocean the whole world starts to rock and roll. The two biggest
weather concerns are the continuous exposure to salt from the ocean
spray and storms which bring big winds with horizontal (and sometimes
upwardly vertical rains). Everything that can does rust. It is very
common for houses which aren't sealed properly to rot out from the
inside if they're made from stucco.

My current house has wood windows which are actually surviving at 12
years old. I believe vinyl will be the better way to go. But how
about brands? Millguard vs Anderson vs Jeld-Wen vs ???.
Any information, opinion, good and bad experiences... would be
appreciated. I have called many window shops and stores locally as
well as Home Depot but they all boast about their brands and I'm sure
there's got to be a difference.

Thanks for any help.

VETMANSHU