Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Default Congress OKs Gun Industry Lawsuit Shield

Dave Mundt wrote:
Greetings and Salutations...

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 05:17:30 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:39:53 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

Was there only 1 picture ?
Not one for the papers and one for the locals ?
Normally there are many pictures taken. Not just one.

The picture in question was the one used in the history textbooks.
He brought in an unretouched (or considerably less retouched) photo
which showed the actual happening, not some prudish and historically
inaccurate semblance.

And it happens all the time. When I was in high school,
we read McBeth in the English class. I was annoyed, but, not
really surprised (having had a healthy disrespect for authority
for many years already) to find that the Porter's Scene was
completely excised. I took rather too much pleasure at taking
MY copy of Shakespeare's works to school that day, and, not only
pointing out to the teacher that the scene was gone, but, reading
it out loud to the class!
Ms. Wiles, who was quite a nice person, tried to smooth
it over, but, in retrospect, I think the fact that she did not make
any serious effort to shut me up may have been a hint that she
did not entirely like the censorship herself.
Oddly enough, now that we have such a huge firehose
of information (the Net, CNN, Fox News, etc), it seems harder
and harder to get to the truth. The biggest problem I see, though,
is that most folks simply find the spin they like, and, demonize
all other versions. Few folks are willing to seek out several
sources, with differing views, and, consider all the points to
sift out what truth is left. Perhaps, actually, it is not
only being unwilling, but, thanks to the "PC" school system,
most folks are UNABLE to do this these days.
In any case, it is a challenge and one should NEVER
accept the first version of the truth one gets.
Mulder's mentor was right...trust no one.
Regards
Dave Mundt

QUESTION AUTHORITY

A bumper sticker that was pasted on my door (upside down) for two decades!
A friend once tried to tell me that it was upside down - there was a
'pregnant pause'.............

Ken.