Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Grand Designs 16 Nov 05

"Grunff" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

I'm just curious (having missed the start) - why is it so much more
environmentally friendly to use lime-based concrete?

It's not. This is a very pervasive myth which has grown over the past
few years.

The arguments used by idiot greenies a

1. Lime production uses about half as much energy as cement production.
-- True, but you also end up using a lot more lime than cement - more
than twice as much.

2. Lime absorbs co2 as it sets.
-- True, but only the co2 it gave off while being baked.

What they don't take into account is the huge amount of energy required
to deliver and lay this type of material when compared with cement based
concrete. That slab took *6 weeks* to lay. That's a bunch of workmen
working for 6 weeks, driving to work every day, heating their homes,
eating etc. etc. Not to mention the big digger employed onsite
throughout that time, and the limecrete mixer.

It's typical greenie bull****, where they use a tiny part of the full
picture to justify something.

I can't believe it. You did come out with reasoned argument there.