Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Grand Designs 16 Nov 05

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:12:52 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Just watched this week's episode, where the eco-punters were using
environmentally friendly materials to build their dream house... when I
tuned in, their builders were busy learning how to use 'limecrete'
(lime-based concrete) to make the slab, and making a complete balls of
it since it took weeks to set, in the middle of a freezing Welsh winter...

I'm just curious (having missed the start) - why is it so much more
environmentally friendly to use lime-based concrete? I think they said
the floor slab cost a whopping £15K MORE than the equivalent in
conventional concrete. Wow, is all I can say.

David

They should have had the limecrete made in the local concrete batching
plant, and then delivered in one day.

The sussed the architect was trying loads of new stuff, with their
money, and rightly pushed her out of the way before they ended up
broke.

A lovley house though.

Rick