Posted to alt.home.repair

Default black pipe for water

wrote:
On 16 Nov 2005 06:33:03 -0800, "
wrote:

Greetings,

I recently purchased a house which has had some of its galvanized water
pipe replaced with black pipe. I know that the work is new because
there are bar codes all over the pipe. I know that this is "not
good" but I would like to have some notion of how bad it is before I
decide whether or not to replace the pipe with galvanized.

a) Is this a code violation (if yes, why?)
b) What is the life expectancy of black pipe?
c) What is the life expectancy of galvanized pipe?
d) Are there any other factors?

Thank you for your time and energy,
William

Black pipe is for gas. Water contains gasses. Just allow the gasses
in the water in those sections of pipe rather than the liquid water
and you wont have any problems.

Greetings,

I ran your suggestion by the plumbing isle worker at Lowes and she
concurs with you. Since this was not the response I was expecting I
decided to push it further and asked her for the specifics on what to
buy. She then added that it sounds like you know a lot more about
plumbing that she does and perhaps I should talk with one of the guys.

Hope this helps,
William