Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
gary

Default Installing a bathroom exhaust fan and the proper way to vent it...

Use insulate flex ducting to prevent moisture condensation and put a U in it
so that any water that might get in the pipe through the top of the vent
does not drain back into your fan.

"BP" wrote in message
et...
What everyone else said.
Plus: you run the flexible duct into the soffit. Flexible vinyl duct is
much better to use for ease of installation in this instance. (Does not
apply to dryer venting.) Use a powerful drill with a 4-1/4" hole saw to
drill a perfectly round hole into the soffit. It is best to use a
"hole-hog" with an offset clutch for this job. A regular drill can pull
you right off a ladder if the hole saw binds up in the hole which is very
likely with a 4" hole saw. You must cut the hole from outside. You should
hire a carpenter/handyman to do this if you are not comfortable on a
ladder that high. You pull the flex duct out of the hole while out on the
ladder. You then use a standard 4" round aluminum soffit vent to tape to
the flex duct after stretching it over the inner ring. Push the flex duct
back into the hole until the round vent is flush and secure with a couple
of brass brads. Usually best to drill a couple of tiny holes for the brads
while on the ground. Easy as pie.
Alternative: Use a roof vent. Requires you to get up on the roof and do
some shingle re-work. I hate these. They are an eyesore and are an
invitation to leaking, especially in cold climates.

"Jim" wrote in message
All,

I need a little advice from those that have installed bathroom exhaust
fans and the proper way to vent them. I am in the process of
deciding if I should just vent the fan into the attic or cut a
hole/holes in the soffit and have the ducting terminate at this
opening. One other option is to install a pvc T fitting in an
existing plumbing vent and have it vent through the roof. Is the last
method acceptable in most areas as far as the building codes?

If I drill 6 or 7 1/2 inch holes in a 4'' diameter circle through
the aluminum soffit and tape the end of the fan duct to the soffit at
this location, will thismethod be sufficient to vent the fan? The
problem I have is that the roof line is about 35-40 feet high so the
only way I can access the soffits is through the attic.

thanks