Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Grand Designs 16 Nov 05

In message , Lobster
writes
Just watched this week's episode, where the eco-punters were using
environmentally friendly materials to build their dream house... when I
tuned in, their builders were busy learning how to use 'limecrete'
(lime-based concrete) to make the slab, and making a complete balls of
it since it took weeks to set, in the middle of a freezing Welsh winter...

I'm just curious (having missed the start) - why is it so much more
environmentally friendly to use lime-based concrete?

Main reason I think is the energy used to produce the lime is a lot less
than that required to produce cement, also as the lime sets it absorbs
some CO2 from the atmosphere.
--
Chris French