Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default Bearing Oil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. uk...
What's a good bearing oil for a phosphor bronze (I think)
bearing in a small computer fan? Would a tiny bit of car
engine oil do?

Bronze bearings are usually intended to be self-lubricating.

Until they dry out

You are presuming that they are oil impregnated porous bronze bearings.

I am

Decent self-lubricating bronze bearings

But they're not, they are cheap and nasty, aren't they

Creating an even suspension of lead in bronze is not that simple, so they
are not cheap, or at least they weren't when I used them. I suspect that
many plain bronze bearings these days are just that: plain bronze.

I spent more than a decade making and repairing industrial clocks.

And what sort of RPM are we talking about

I don't have a motor to hand now, but it was either 1100 RPM or 1350 RPM.
They were then stepped down to speeds between 1rpm and 1/12 rph, depending
on the timing function they were required to carry out.

One of
the quickest way for anyone to wreck them was to oil the bronze motor
bearings.

Repairing fan motors with PB bearings is part of what I do now for a
living (well, not me personally anymore).

I buy 1000 pb bearings at a time, they are kept immersed in oil for best
results

I do have a clue ...

Sorry, Colin, but you're completely wrong here

I think you have interpreted my warning that oiling bronze bearings runs the
risk of knackering them to mean that it will, inevitably do so. It does not,
it means there is a risk of doing so and I also speak from personal
experience. However, I will admit that experience was quite a long time ago
(there is not much call for electromechanical process control these days)
and that much of the equipment I made probably was used in relatively
hostile environments.

Colin Bignell