Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default Heater fan repair

Roger G wrote:

I have a small heater fan marked Krups type 984. The fan motor and the
whole unit appear very clean and nothing seems burned or damaged. The
problem is the fan doesn't spin with power applied (it tries to spin,
turning very, very slowly). I can turn the fan by hand and it feels a
little stiff.

It seems maybe the motor just needs lubrication but I don't know how
to do it properly. Do I need to remove the fan blade to get at the
motor? How? Do I need to clean the motor bearings before adding new
oil?

Any advice from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. They all seemed good and
encouraged me to try lubrication.

It was not possible for me to remove the fan blade without doing
damage I couldn't repair so access to the motor shaft was difficult.
Then I noticed there was a plug in the heater case that was easy to
pop off, and under the plug was the other end of the motor shaft.

First I tried 3-in-1 oil, and that made the fan feel less stiff, but
under power it didn't rotate fast enough. I then tried WD-40 and that
worked great. The fan now turns at full speed and the heater appears
to be working properly. Let's see how long it lasts.

Thanks again for the help. This is a great group.

The wd-40 is good for flushing out the old dried up lube, but you'll
want to stick some good oil in there after that. Also you have to be
very careful using something as flammable as WD-40 in a heater, you've
already powered it up but normally I'd say make sure it's well
ventilated first.