Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tempus fugit

Default unit hums loudly regardless of volume

Thanks again for the replies.

I solved the 120V on the chassis mystery - the new cord I installed wasn't
polarized after all. It has a white stripe on it (black cable) and one of
the tips appeared bigger than the other, but it would fit in the socket
either way. I installed an actual polarized cord and the chassis is AC free.

Hopefully I'll get to the caps soon. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

wrote in message
oups.com...
When in doubt, use 33uF or so, @450V (22uF is OK for a start. If the
hum reduces but does not go away altogether, then go up). Otherwise,
200uF @20V or so for LV stuff.

Bridge: Voltage in X 1.4142 = voltage out.
Single diode: Voltage in .7071 = voltage out.

Keep that in mind.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA