Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Moderated group thought.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:22:09 -0500, "Wanda Pangborn"
wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:11:03 -0500, "Wanda Pangborn"
wrote:

Why don't you guys moderate your group?

1) Because moderation isn't a good idea

I'm seeing about 50/50 on that opinion.

if you're seeing as high as 50% for moderation, it's because those who
feel it's their mission in life to control others are vocal WAAAAAAAY
beyond true percentage.

I can see the pros and cons. This
isn't a group I'll probably be on for a long time, so it really isn't my
place. I was just making a suggestion.

2) Because of a _huge_ bunfight a few months ago. One "Vito Kuhn",
America's Best Christian Woodworker decided that we all needed saving
from ourselves. There was huge animosity, some of it over moderation but
mostly over the way he went about it. It's a very touchy subject now.

I'm sorry to hear that. It figures I would put my foot in my mouth the first
time here. I was just trying to be helpful.

If you want to see a moderated group in action, try reading Vito's
"fam.woodworking" Safe for families, christians and small animals. Not
a thing in it.

Obviously his idea was not something that had a lot of support. In fact I
don't see why he went ahead with it knowing no one would follow him.

I guess he figured GOD would force all of us to do things Vito's way.
after all, Vito is god's chosen one....

The best intentions pave the road to hell and all.

Wanda