Posted to rec.woodworking
E. Allen's ghost

Default Vito [ Moderated group thought.

On 16 Nov 2005 16:30:10 +0100, "Vito Kuhn"
, wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:11:03 -0500, "Wanda Pangborn"
wrote:

Why don't you guys moderate your group?

1) Because moderation isn't a good idea

With all due respect Andy, that's just YOUR OPINION. There are hundreds
of moderated newsgroups in various hierarchies and many of them are
thriving.

They work very well if they have the support and a good moderator. I
agree. I don't understand all the venom in here against moderation.

It makes no sense why you guys have always been so scared of it.

2) Because of a huge bunfight a few months ago. One "Vito Kuhn",
America's Best Christian Woodworker decided that we all needed saving
from ourselves.

That's not BY ANY MEANS an accurate account of what happened. I proposed
a SEPARATE GROUP for PEOPLE INTERESTED in a SEPARATE MODERATED GROUP. I
never once suggested that rec.woodworking should be moderated. If the
group passed, reading it and posting to it would have been VOLUNTARY.
Staying in the unmoderated wreck would have been voluntary too if the
group passed, this option would NOT have been taken away from wreckers
and I NEVER proposed anything like that.

But why try to create a whole new hierarchy? Wouldn't a moderated
group work just as well?

There was huge animosity, some of it over moderation but
mostly over the way he went about it.

Once again, I proposed a SEPARATE GROUP, and I went through all the
proper hoops and channels. It was not my fault that a sociopath from Ohio
named Steve Young flooded the ballot box with forged and "FROGGED" votes.
Later when the vote fraud was detected, Susan and I VOLUNTARILY declined
the revote that was offered to us by the NAN Team.

Why on earth wouldn't you want a revote?

It's a very touchy subject now.

I see that the subject will never be allowed to rest.

It's one of the more interesting stories I've heard in a while.

If you want to see a moderated group in action, try reading Vito's
"fam.woodworking" Safe for families, christians and small animals. Not
a thing in it.

More hog wash. First of all, the fam.* hierarchy is INACTIVE now.
http://www.family-usenet.com
Second of all, fam.* woodworking was NEVER moderated. Third of all,
current usenet protocols are not advanced enough to keep ANY newsgroup
100% "SAFE". My hierarchy was destroyed by a massive, organized troll
invasion. You use Supernews, and they were the only news service provider
to respect our charters so you probably didn't see any of the cross
posted drivel. But most people DID see all the junk from the swines, and
that kept decent folks from wanting to participate. If you're gonna bad
mouth me, Andy, at least get your details straight.

If you wanted to try and get a moderated woodworking group started
again, I'd certainly read it. I'm sure other people would too. I
don't see why you have to go along with consensus on this since it
doesn't directly affect this group.

JMO

Eric

VK