Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default maybe OT, insurance?

Grant Erwin wrote:

I need business insurance for a one-man steel fabrication business out
of my home. Contractor's insurance companies tell me they only deal with
bonded contractors i.e. those who have state licenses. Regular insurance
companies tell me they don't deal with businesses even those run out of
a home.

If you live in the US and have a small business which includes welding,
and you have business insurance with a national company, would you mind
either posting the name of the company or giving me a heads-up as to the
right way to look?

Thanks

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

I run a software/electronics consulting business out of my home.
Because what I do sounds scary (apparently) and is out of the common way
there weren't many companies willing to take me on. I went to my local
insurance agent who did _way_ more work than he made in commission to
dig up an insurance company that would take me on.

I just looked at the policy -- when I got the thing, and when I renew,
it's through some insurance broker, but the actual policy is through
Lloyd's of London (gor blimy!).

It may be worth your while to go to your local independent insurance
agent to see what he can dig up. If you just can't get anywhere with
your locals send me email and I'll send you the name of mine. I'm not
sure that he's licensed to work in Washington (I'm in Oregon), but he
may know of someone up there, or be in a generous mood to give free advise.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services