Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Default Fabricating a loader bucket

Doug wrote:
Hello,
I want to build a snow bucket for my skidsteer. It will be 8.5 feet
wide at the front, 4 deep, and 2 feet tall.

I'm using a local metal shop to help design it. He has only built snow
buckets for giant loaders, and he has always used T1 steel for them.
Now a skidsteer is a little lighter duty then a 40k pound front end
loader.

Specs we are thinking are 3/16 plate for bottom and sides, huge gussets
on the back. We will use abrasion steel straps on cutting edge and on
bottom.

So keep in mind this is for snow, so we will be using it down below 0
degrees farenheit.

Do I really need T1, or will mild steel work? I don't need the T1 for
its abrasion resistance, but I am worried about cracking and strength.

Calcs we come out to are 800 pounds for the bucket. This is ok, as it
leaves 1500 pounds or more for the snow load, but I'd like to keep the
weight down as much as possible.

Thoughts? Opinions? Resources?

3/16" mild steel would be fine. Appropriate bracing and it will be
fine. 4ft deep seems excessive, but that's up to you.

Dad built one a few years ago that is 8.5' x 30" x 2'. It works very
well. Don't know what style skidsteer you have, but if it is the
Bobcat attachment style, make the bracket out of 1/4" and weld to the
back of your bucket.

His was 8.5', as it cleared bank teller lanes in a single pass. Why is
yours? Just curious.

JW