Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default What Would Be the Standard Practice in This Situation? - 1

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:10:02 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On 15 Nov 2005 05:46:41 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:
In article 2Icef.574812$xm3.305769@attbi_s21, JWho says...

From an earlier post:

The bike is disassembled to the frame currently, so measuring rake and trail
is not possible right now. I haven't checked offset, as it is close to the
same, and if it were any different, it would be for the better. The tire OD
is the same. I'll have to get it all bolted up before worrying about fork
length (travel is the same, but axle to clamping area may be different). I
am thinking any slight height difference can be taken up by sliding the fork
tubes up in the clamps. Right now, I am just worried about how to get one
metalworking issue solved. I have to take care of "first things first".

As has been mentioned before, a steel spacer is the best way to go.
You are hampered by the thin wall that the geometry requires. You
cannot make this by hand. You will need to have it made on a lathe.
One way to do this is to shrink fit it (with heat) into the top clamp.
Shim stock is a bad approach I think.

{Satire Alert for the Humor Impaired...}

If I'm following this whole mess correctly through all the Angels
doing a Rockettes Dance Line on the head of a pin... ;-)

JWho is shimming where the steering bearing shaft goes through the
top and bottom plates of the triple tree, right?

(The other two holes are where the fork tubes go down to the front
tire, and the handlebars fasten to the top plate somehow.)

And he said something about their being nuts on the top and bottom
of each plate where he needs to shim the hole, right?

So both the shims would be held 100% captive by the nuts on top and
bottom, and washers on the sides toward the bearings, right?

So why the (heck) can't JWho just use a simple ring of .030
stainless shim stock (or the thickness needed) cut to the right length
and Loctite'd into place? Someone please tell me, I want to know!

Common sense, My GOD! What a CONCEPT!! ;-O

Somebody call Paul Teutel Sr. and Jr. and get their opinions on this
mess too, while we're at it! :-P I know Paul Sr. is in town, he
just Grand Marshaled the Love Ride. If you want abuse while building
a bike, he's the Go-To Guy to get it from...

{Satire Alert Off}

If that bearing shaft can't go anywhere, it should not be a problem.
And if he is bushing the hole evenly he isn't changing the steering
geometry at all - the hole is in the exact same place, it's just too
large.

Now if the triple tree and forks combination isn't the right
geometry for the bike, I can see a problem with that, but the bushing
for the steering shaft would not have anything to do with that. It's
just holding the shaft in the right place.

And in conclusion: Why is Common Sense so uncommon?

-- Bruce --

Big gold star, yet again, Bruce.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner