frank

Default Lathe Suggestions

There are at least three points to deal with. You have to support the
weight of the shaft, you need to keep it straight, and you need to
deal with the critical speed.

The first two are trivial.

By the way, I assume this is an axial stick-out for a through-hole
spindle, not a radial stick-out. If you have a 10' radial stick-out
you have a serious problem.

But the critical speed issue is also a serious problem. If you are
getting withing 10% of critical speed you will need to do some
real engineering. I envision lots of pillow blocks on a long
piece of large box tubing.

"Rob Hammond" wrote in message

Hi all

What products / ideas exist that will support a long bar (say 10 ft)
protruding from the headstock? I've had suggestions of using
1) plastic tube
2) bearing with sleeve
but wonder if these ideas are versatile enough. I guess what I'm asking
for is some kind variable diameter i.d. bearing on, perhaps, a vibration
absorbing support ...... any suggestions ???

Regards
Rob