Alexis

Default Here vs Hear was Doing deals with Marty Escarcega

I am fortunate enough to have a set of the original OED ("A New English
Dictionary on Historical Principles") and this is the entry:

The imperitive Hear!, now usually repeated, Hear! hear! (formerly Hear
him! hear him!) is used as an exclamation to call attention to a speaker's
words, and hence has become a general expression of approbation or
'cheering'.
It is now the regular form of cheering [CHEER sb, 8] in the House of
Commons, and expresses, according to intonation, admiration, aquiescence,
indignation, derision, etc.

following this are quotes from nine publications from 1689 through 1865 to
illustrate the history of usage.

b. Hence as sb. Hear, hear! (formerly hear-him), a cheer. Also Hear-hear
v. intr., to shout 'hear! hear!; trans., to acclaim with shouts of 'hear!
hear!'; to cheer. Hence Hear-hearer.

then nine more historical quotes from 1727 to 1895.

I've never been able to afford a set of the OED, so my determinations
are still suspect of course, but under "hear" in my Collins English
Dictionary one definition says:

7. hear! hear! an exclamation used to show approval of
something said.

I could find nothing similar under "here" in the same volume, except
the terms:

2. here and there
4. here's to (this might apply to Marty tool)
6. here we go again (does that apply here?)
7. neither here nor there (definitely applies!)

Bloody Englushmun

VBGIH

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario, Canada
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:18:14 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news
Hear! Hear!

Surely that is Here Here

Hear Hear = Listen / Listen

Here Here = This location / this location meaning I too (over here) agree

pedantic I know but English is slowly slipping away . . . . blasted
colonials !

Andrew

--
pls replace nospam with my name to reply privately.