Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Reinforcing opening in supporting wall - who is right?

Roger wrote:
The message
from "Mara" contains these words:

what reinforcing method should be used to bridge a 5.5 ft wide 4.5 ft high
opening through a ground floor, concrete block, load-bearing wall in a 2
storey building which has a concrete ceiling/floor between the two levels?
Our current builder has installed a reinforced concrete lintel turned
on its
side with approximately 6 inches of lintel beyond the opening on either
side, but another builder has just told us that this is not sufficient
support and should be replaced as it is potentially dangerous. Who do we
believe?? and if this is wrong, what is best to use for the job??

Is your builder working from plans already agreed with the local BCO or
is he working under a building notice? Either way the BCO has the final
say.

That was my thought too. Building control should certainly have been
involved in a job like this, and should have approved this; both the
lintel selection and the manner in which the work was done - sounds to
me like this hasn't happened?

The BCO might demand to see calculations to back up the choice of
lintel, which if it was me, would mean I would be hotfooting it to a
structural engineer.

David