Don

Default Well pressure switch

"Kent McPherson" wrote
Well I appreciate all the posts to my question. Here's a couple of
clarifications. I measured the pressure at the gauge that is built-in. It
is before the water softener which I do have. I realize the 30-50
readings are fairly standard. It could simply be a case of not knowing
what to expect from a well compared to a city water system. This is our
first house with a well. The water pressure is low compared to the city
pressure and I think I'm hearing that is normal. I'm thinking I'll just
call the company that put in the well pump/pressure tank and have them
come check it out. This house is 8 years old owned by only one previous
owner who didn't do much of anything in terms of maintenance. Maybe there
is no maintenance to this kind of system but might be worth a service call
to get someone to look at it and tell me it's OK.

If your pressure switch looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/djmmd
you can undo the nut on top and pull the plastic cover off, then us a 7/16"
box wrench to turn the nut inside either direction and watch the gauge to
see which way to raise the pressure.
Be careful to not touch any of the electrical components inside, that stuff
is 220 volts!
I have 2 of these switches on my system and the one closest to the ground
gets clogged with ants and shorts the system out.
I then unplug the system from the power, remove the switch cover and use an
old toothbrush to clean the ants out.
Then I spray it down with WD40 and reinstall.
The maintenance on these systems is relatively low.
Drop a bag or 2 of salt in the tank every month, available at Lowes for a
few bux per bag.
I use the yellow 40# bags, they seem to last longer than the crystals.
Pour about 1/2 cup of bleach in the aerator every 2 months.
Once a year yank the drainplug out of the bottom of the aerator (after
unplugging everything) and wash the whole tank out, use a new broom or long
handled brush, and rinse thoroughly.
Check your pressure switches every couple months.
If the electricity goes out make sure you reset the timer on your softener.
If you have a tech come out to service the system, stand right over him and
pay attention to what he's doing.
Ask plenty of questions, they are more than happy to talk about the system
and what they do.