Speedy Jim

Default black pipe for water

wrote:
Greetings,

I recently purchased a house which has had some of its galvanized water
pipe replaced with black pipe. I know that the work is new because
there are bar codes all over the pipe. I know that this is "not
good" but I would like to have some notion of how bad it is before I
decide whether or not to replace the pipe with galvanized.

a) Is this a code violation (if yes, why?)
b) What is the life expectancy of black pipe?
c) What is the life expectancy of galvanized pipe?
d) Are there any other factors?

Thank you for your time and energy,
William

The major thing you will have to contend with is rust....lots of it.
You'll get tired of the rusty water long before the pipe gives up the ghost.

Galv iron pipe in water service may last from 20 to 100 yrs, depending
on water conditions.

I would say that use of blk pipe was inexcusable.

Jim