Joe Fabeitz

Default How to disconnect fluorescent lights?

Removing both bulbs on a ballast will cause that circuit to draw ZERO
current. The traditional ballast places an inductive resistance in series
with each tube to limit the current when the tube is illluminated. Removing
the tubes breaks the series circuit. The newer electronic ballasts will
draw a small amount of current (less that 1/10 amp) even with the tubes
removed.

BTW, why do you some of you guys feel compelled to respond to these
questions even when you don't know the answer? You typically begin your
post with "...I don't know much about this but....." Why not shut up and
learn from others?

"Walter R." wrote in message
My kitchen ceiling has 4 light fixtures with 2 fluorescent lights in each
of them (T-12 4' long). This is too bright and wastes energy.

I would like to deactivate 2 of the fixtures. Can I just pull the 2 tubes
out of 2 fixtures, but leave these fixtures (with the ballast) connected
to the house wiring?

Would this damage the ballast? Would the fixtures, with the ballast but
without the tubes, still draw power? Or, should I disconnect the wires to
the fixtures (more trouble because I have to open the fixtures)?

Thank you

--
Walter
www.rationality.net