Norminn

Default Replacing Roof Support Beam with 1x boards?

I hope I get terminology right - our condo is four buildings connected
by continuous roof over atrium, two story. Finally, board has gotten
around to repairing a long-rotted support beam and correcting this
sagging portion of roof. I've commented before that the sag was held up
for years by downspout tubing that someone installed between the ceiling
and railing around upper deck. Duh! The old beam rotted entirely away
along the end of a skylight that blew away last year ) Rather than a
solid beam, contractor is using 4 1x12's glued and nailed to each other.
2x4 along bottom of each side will hold the rafters - rafters have a
corner cut out that the 2x4 fits into. The new beam spans about 15',
but I haven't measured. The beam goes between two concrete? encased
steel beams, one of which crosses the center of the atrium. The
steel/concrete beam across the center gets support from a two story wood
partition that isn't entirely healthy and takes a lot of stress in high
wind. The span for the new wood beam from outer to center beam is about
22'. New skylight, about 5x15, will be installed, one end of which sits
at about the center of the new beam.