Stuart Noble

Default Paint not drying on previously waxed doors

wrote:
We stupidly mistook some interior wood panel doors as untreated but now
realise that they had been waxed many years ago. The oil-based gloss we
painted on them is taking ages to dry and I wondered if anyone had any
tips or advice.

The options I'd thought of a

1. Be patient, wait for the paint to dry and try applying a second
coat.
2. Replace the doors with new ones.
3. Try and strip off the still tacky paint, then try and strip off the
wax (if so, how?)

I don't really want to go for option 2; option 3 would I guess be messy
and time-consuming; I suppose I'm hoping that people will recommend
going for option 1!

Brett

Try rubbing it down with coarse wire wool and white spirit, which should
be a solvent for the paint and the wax. This gets the gunk off which
then gets absorbed into the wire wool. A relatively clean operation.
Once that dries, the oil paint should take ok.