Dean

Default relieving stress in brass.

Yes, I know the frustration of this. I think the problem is more to do with
the cutting action of a slitting saw causing a bend as it cuts through.
Brass is always one of the first materials to show up a blunt cutting edge -
try filing brass with a blunt file ! Sharper saws certainly cause less
distortion, but you will still get some. Perhaps if you clamp the pieces in
place as they're cut it might reduce the curvature. I dont think brass
suffers much from internal stresses.

Good luck,
Dean.

"alabbe0405" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hi, I'm trying to cut a piece of brass threaded rod in two to use the

halves
as racks for focussing a view camera. Now I can cut it no problem with a
slitting saw, but my problem is that is then starts doing some interesting
contorsion and looks like a spiral or some kind of randomly generated
curve... I presume that internal stress are released by the cutting and
causes the deformation to occur (also so it just cutting a piece from a

flat
bar of brass, 3/16 thick, quite surprising to see the piece your cutting

off
take a 1/8 inch curve in about 5 inch of lenght...). So my question is

for
all the saavy people out there, can I and how do I relieve the stress to
prevent (or at least reduce) the deformation caused by machining.