Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Update on machinist trainee

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

There's nothing condescending about my attitude ----- in fact, it's one

that
more should assume. We're living in a society that hasn't a clue about
*value*. You don't think so? Explain to me in terms that I can
understand why it is that virtually all of our industries have left for
greener pastures.

Ah, I think Ed has already done that. The reason is that
the labor costs in china are 1/20th that of the US. Basically
it's a free market, and companies want to take advantage of that
1/20th number. This is why GM is now building all of its
engines in china.

Are you sure about the GM engines, Jim? I've never heard that, but if
it's true, it's all the more appalling.

The only way that american workers are going to learn a lesson
about "value" is by having all their wages divided by 20.
What this means is that your retirement and SS benefits are now
likewise divided by 20. Once that happens, then you too will
appreciate "value."

Harold, you keep insisting that something needs to be done to
teach workers a lesson - or at least that's what it sounds like.
Vindictive or not, I cannot seem exactly what kind of even
or law will do this. Short of writing letters to all the US
companies, the gist of which would be "you're paying folks
too much," what else could you do?

Jim

I guess it's evident this issue bothers me a great deal.

I realize it's a stretch, Jim, but something that we're going to face
eventually---we're in a world economy. While I realize that Ed has
explained it to his satisfaction, and don't challenge his credentials in any
way, the harsh reality is we're losing the work--which likely would slow
down if workers here paid more attention to their responsibilities and
accepted reasonable wages, maybe in keeping with their production. We
simply expect too much for our time---an example of which are the assembly
people at Boeing that went on strike a couple months ago for more when they
were already earning right at $60,000/yr. Where does it end?

Yeah, I realize working for less doesn't set well with you---but is there
another solution? We've been lead down the path that we're a "service
society", so folks abandoned the skilled trades in droves, moving towards
becoming service people, only to have that industry follow on the heels of
manufacturing. Hell, the only service we're going to have left is jobs
that can't be exported----delivery people, brick front store clerks, and
other like people. That balance of us won't have employment and won't be
able to afford the services offered by those that remain employed.
Wouldn't it be better to have a lesser paying job than no job? It looks to
me that's the way it's headed, although I sure hope not.

I think you realize I don't feel I have a solution to the problem, but
demanding more money for less effort is only adding fuel to the fire.

I realize you're not fond of SS-----who in hell is? I didn't want to pay
it, and --------remember-------I was self employed, so my cut was the whole
magilla-----it was the largest tax I paid for years. It was taken from
me without my permission---on the promise that I'd get it back when I was
old. I am. Hope you can still find it in your heart to consider me a
worthy person in spite of the fact I now draw the money. I've done my
best to not be a drag on society----paid taxes, worked all my life without
drawing any subsidies of any kind. I'm entitled to this one.

Be well,

Harold