Banty

Default Granite Kitchen Counter Backsplashes?

In article , John says...

I'm thinking of replacing my tile counters with its 24 inch tall tile
backsplashes and porcelain sink with granite slab counters and an undermount
stainless sink. The kitchen has linoleum flooring that will be replaced
with tile.

Unless you're selling in a few years, it's all about taste. And taste is
personal. I've just answered these questions for my own kitchen (I plan to be
in my house a good while), so here's my two cents. (But remember, in the end
it's about what you like..)

What is the best way to deal with backsplashes?

Make the backplash out of matching granite slab?

Personally, I think this is "too much". I dont' like the look.

Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring?

Floor tiles will generally be too large for a decent-looking backsplash. But
something that is much smaller can work nicely. This is closest to what I'm
going with - a mosaic of very similar colors floor tile (floor tile is
monochromatic 12" tile, backsplash 2 1/4 " mosiac backsplash similar shades,
green 1" tumbled glass for contrast)

Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile?

If it works with the countertop and floor well (and cabinets). Consider a glass
tile for this. I love that look.

Make the backsplash out of some other material?

I've seen some surprisingly nice setups with just plain painted walls for the
backsplash, painted beadboard. It's a clean look, not as plain-looking as it
sounds. Easy on the budget too. I've seen stainless steel - can't get into
that look but some folks rave about it.

Something to consider - I'm going with electrical strips mounted under the
cabinets to get away from all the outlets being cut out of the tile backsplash.

Banty